Perez Explains His Singapore GP Incidents With Ocon And Sirotkin
In a slightly uninteresting race, Perez at least gave us something to talk about with his clash with his teammate (something we’re surprisingly used to seeing) and his questionable contact with Sirotkin.
During the race, he already told his team he was sorry for the Ocon incident, and afterwards reiterated that he simply hadn’t seen him. He told Channel 4:
Esteban Ocon impressed many during his interviews, refusing to comment on the incident – even though there are persistent rumours that this might be his last race for the team.
Team principal Otmar Szafnauer was understandably more frustrated. He suggested that the team was going to have to start imposing team orders again (as it did last year) in order to prevent the same thing happening again. He told Sky F1:
That sounds kind of ominous. Nobody likes to see team orders being used. But for a team in Force India’s position, desperately trying to regain points lost in the sale of the team, first lap incidents like Singapore can be enormously costly.
Then comes the meaty matter of the collision with Sirotkin. It looked a little bit like it was deliberate on TV, but Perez said he was just trying to close the door – and did so too early:
Checo also admitted that the drive-through penalty he received for the collision was probably a fair punishment:
It’s some refreshing honesty from Perez. Yes, he’s known as an aggressive driver and has wound up some other drivers in the past, but he’s been pretty good for years now, which is what made his race all the more shocking.
via WTF1 https://wtf1.com
September 16, 2018 at 07:29PM